HR Project Partners is currently accepting resumes for a Chief Mechanical Engineer – API Tank Design on behalf of one of our Clients. The ideal applicant would have Structural or Mechanical Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) in the province of Ontario, 10-15 Years of Design experience, ability to Integrate Civil, Piping, Electrical and I&C designs to the overall application of API Tank installations, and extensive practical experience in multi-disciplined industrial operations.
This position is permanent position and is located in Hamilton, ON. Relocation for non-local candidates is required.
Our Client is offering a competitive compensation package.
Working in the Hamilton Ontario office, the Chief Engineer – API Tank Design is responsible for developing and verifying designs, mentoring junior staff and forming an integral part of the business development and sales process. Client is a known leader in the Design, Construction, and Maintenance of API Storage and Plate Structures throughout Canada. The Chief Engineer will have direct reports, including CET’s, EIT’s, Professional Engineers and Project Managers.
The management approach is team oriented. Open communication between this position, construction and supervisory teams, the Company’s head office personnel and Client Representatives is essential. The successful candidate must be resourceful, possess a strong work ethic and the capability to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
All employees must work together to meet and exceed the requirements of the Clients Safety & Quality Management Programs. The Client is passionate about exceeding customer expectations while providing a safe working environment for everyone.
Essential Job Functions:
- Hold Certification of Authorization (or equivalent) for the company in various Canadian jurisdictions.
- Manage all technical aspects of projects and field troubleshooting; defining problems and solutions, assessing inspection data; develops scope, develops repair and replacement plans and provides engineering oversight and guidance for completion and commissioning.
- Self-Perform and oversee preparation of mechanical calculations, specifications (including weld specifications), new/repair tank drawings, tool drawings, data sheets, material requisitions.
- Review and approve vendor documentation (calculations, drawings, procedures, etc.).
- Coordinates engineering efforts in assigned areas between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, with the client, suppliers, and contractors.
- Build key customer relationships, identify business opportunities, negotiate and close business deals and maintain extensive knowledge of current market conditions.
- Strategic planning, identifying and implementing opportunities to improve productivity, efficiency, service quality and cost effectiveness.
- Managing the preparation of quantities, budgets and tender proposals with support from others.
- Develop and maintain management functions through the selection, training, and motivation of direct reports.
- Mentor and train young staff to achieve and maintain design and execution excellence.
- Provide constructive feedback to assigned personnel through written and verbal communication regarding performance, safety and quality requirements.
- Display judgment in communications with personnel, handle sensitive confidential information appropriately to team members and client personnel.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Structural or Mechanical Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) in the province of Ontario.
- 10-15 Years of Design experience preferred.
- ASME and API Code experience sufficient to be considered expert level.
- Ability to Integrate Civil, Piping, Electrical and I&C designs to the overall application of API Tank installations is highly desired.
- Basic AutoCAD drafting experience.
- Experience with refineries, chemical and petrochemicals plants.
- Experience with engineering and design of pressure vessels (distillation columns, reactors, etc.), heat exchangers and tanks.
- Competency in budgets, estimating, planning, cost control, and analytical reporting.
- Experience in leading and integrating cross functional teams including construction teams, strategies, and plans to achieve business success.
- Extensive practical experience in multi-disciplined industrial operations.
- Outstanding professional reputation for delivering against engineering, quality, environmental, health and safety standards.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents, to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints, to write reports using original or innovative techniques or style and to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to senior management, clients, and employees, public groups;
- Ability to work with complex mechanical engineering concepts and designs, and fundamentals of project management to oversee the tendering, contracting and execution of challenging industrial maintenance and manufacturing for large industrial clients.
- Requires working additional hours to complete projects or meet deadlines as necessary; 5~10 % travel with some overnight stays; on and off-road travel conditions (generally envisions as site meetings, troubleshooting and oversite).
- Conditions include – climbing ladders – crawling into confined spaces -climbing on, under and/or over piping – walking on uneven ground – working at heights – working in elevated and reduced temperature environments – working near operating equipment.
- Conditions include the possibility to be fit tested for a respirator or self-contained breathing apparatus.
Knowledge, Skills, & Attributes:
- Requires fluent abilities in the use and application of computers and related software – Microsoft Office, etc.
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with little direction.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to forecast, analyze and work under pressure.
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities.
HR Project Partners Inc. (HRPP) is a Human Resources consulting company offering various services in Human Resources, both to individuals and to companies. One of those services is recruitment for companies on a provincial and national basis.
HR Project Partners is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply directly to this job posting. While HR Project Partners appreciates all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.