Find the right job
HR Project Partners is currently accepting resumes for a Deputy Manager - Operations on behalf of one of our clients. The ideal candidate would have experience in a mining environment.
This position is in Northern Canada. This is a permanent position with 3 on/3 off rotation.
Essential Job Functions:
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Deputy Manager Operations will provide leadership and be responsible for safely managing the Baffinland Iron Mines’ operations (mining, crushing, ore hauling, road maintenance, stockpiling and ship loading) and ensuring that the safety, environmental, production and budget targets are achieved.
- Manage health and safety at the highest standard as per BIM policy and program. Provide strong safety leadership in order to build a strong safety culture. Ensure quality and timeliness of safety reporting.
- Manage operations in all aspects:
- Mining activities: wall/floor/ramp road maintenance, surface clean-ups, drilling, blasting, loading, hauling, and dumping to planned destination (waste dump, ROM pad, stockpiles, etc.).
- Crushing and screening operations to produce lump and fine ore products. Improve and implement a strong fix maintenance plan for the crusher installation.
- Long haul ore operations and tote road maintenance to ensure safe transport of ore products to the Milne Port site.
- Stockpiling and shiploading of the ore products at the Milne Port site.
- Assist in the Development and implementation strategies and operating plans that take into account targets and related actions for improvement in accident prevention, environmental performance, production, output quality, production costs, and capital expenditures.
- Plan and manage the contractual crushing of aggregates for all on site clients.
- Assist in managing the overall opex and capex plan for the mine, crushers, tote road and port.
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders including Health and Safety, Environment, Training, Human Resources, Planning and Maintenance, Port and Logistics, CI and Reliability, Cost Control and Finance groups to ensure that the business plan is profitable and deliverable. Be a leader in the interdepartmental integration.
- Assist in managing resources and processes to achieve annual objectives. Strategize on 1 to 5-year improvement plan.
- Ensure a strong workforce planning management.
- Assist in the building department succession plan.
- Build the leadership of Superintendents and Supervisors through assessment and development plans.
- Build a strong equipment planning process with integration and synergies between subgroups within department.
- Analyze trends in safety, environment, production, and quality performance, as well as the consumption of resources, and implement actions to address negative variances, or to take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
- Manage performance of department members and take action to improve the capability of the team to meet future needs through the development or selection of personnel.
- Monitor production performance to ensure that processes are in place both to maintain department and equipment to sustain/build productive capability, and to meet the targets outlined in the Business Plan.
- Build the capability for continuous improvement while balancing the allocation of resources to optimize the treatment of all inputs from the ‘supplier’ and meet quantity and quality output requirements for the internal and/or external ‘customer’.
- Contribute to the LOMs plans by contributing to the 5-year plan as it relates to cost and production optimization.
- Build ownership of the team in the short/medium term planning and forecasting processes.
- Manage contracts related to operations.
- Interface with key individuals internal and external to the company on various issues. This may include contractors, communities, government, aboriginal groups, etc.
- Formulate strategic and operational objectives while performing quality controls and monitoring production KPIs.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- College Diploma in Mine Engineering or other mining diploma and/or equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree in Mine Engineering or other mining diploma and/or equivalent
- 7-10 years progressive leadership experience
- 10+ year experience in Surface Operations Mining with experience in technical and operating departments
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Nunavut, or ability is advantageous
- Professional Shift Boss or Supervisor Ticket in Nunavut (or with capability to register)
Knowledge, Skills, & Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
HR Project Partners Inc. (HRPP) is a Human Resources consulting company offering various services in Human Resources, both to individuals and to companies. One of those services is recruitment for companies on a provincial and national basis.
HR Project Partners is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply directly to this job posting. For questions regarding the position, please feel free to email email@example.com. While HR Project Partners appreciates all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.