Find the right job
HR Project Partners is currently accepting resumes for a HUC/ORA Cost Controller on behalf of one of our clients. The ideal candidate will possess expertise in Cost Control, a mature understanding of Project Controls, experience in project execution, and strong competencies in analysis, communication, collaboration, and forward-thinking.
This position is in St. John’s, NL. This position is a multi-year contract, with an end date to align with WWRP renewals. The closing date is January 25th, 2023.
Working in the WWRP Project Services group, this position will be responsible for providing Cost Control support to the Hook-Up & Commissioning (HUC) and Operational Readiness Assurance (ORA) project teams for the West White Rose Project (WWRP). Functions of this role include Control Budget Stewardship, Cost Forecasting, Cost Profiling & Budgeting, Contract Stewardship, Incurred Cost Valuation, FX Stewardship, Cost Reporting (incl. performance evaluation and variance analysis), Change Management, Estimating Support, etc.
The position requires interfacing with engineering/procurement/construction/fabrication/installation contractors, as well as a multitude of project disciplines including Planning, Estimating / Quantity Surveying, Finance, Supply Chain Management, Project Management/Engineering, etc .
Essential Job Functions:
The HUC/ORA Cost Controller supports Hook-Up & Commissioning (HUC), and Operational Readiness Assurance (ORA) cost management for the West White Rose Project (WWRP). Specific responsibilities include:
- Control Budget Stewardship – Ensure that Budget is properly utilized for Work; Drive the Budget Change (i.e. Change Management) procedure to attain approval/funding for Work not included in the Control Budget. Maintain cost stewardship files and registers to manage/track/report Control Budget utilization/transfers by WBS / Cost Code (e.g. Allowance accounts). Report on variances to the Control Budget. Execute contractor commitments with the prescribed Control Budget.
- Cost Forecasting – Identify ‘Trends’ impacting the Budget through analyzing cost information (reports and KPI’s) and interfacing with the Project Management Team and contractors. Develop ‘Forecast at Completion’ based on approved budget changes and Trends. Flag early signs of cost risk (e.g. ‘Watchlists’). Log Trends and Watchlists in the appropriate register; support team discussions for edits/additions.
- Cost Profiling & Budgeting – Develop cost profiles in alignment with the Schedule. Provide periodic Time-Phased Budgets to Finance; report on variances to this Cost Baseline.
- Contract Stewardship – Interface and establish a relationship with contractor cost control team; work with contractor cost controller(s) to establish accurate and efficient project reporting and KPI's. Review and analyze contractor cost reports to assess performance and forecast impacts; ensure contract cost reporting requirements are met. Evaluate proposed change orders; analyze/challenge legitimacy and accuracy of proposed cost impacts. Raise Purchase Requisitions and manage PO’s.
- Incurred Cost Valuation – Assess incurred costs for various contract types considering money expended, the value of work done, earned value, rules of credit, progress between milestones, etc. Develop accruals for issuance to Finance.
- FX Stewardship – Steward Budget and Forecast in Base Currency; Convert to CAD Equivalent at Project FX Rates. Monitor FX impacts to support required Budget Changes (re. FX Allowance).
- Cost Reporting – Publish monthly Cost Reports based on prescribed templates (re. Approved Changes, Current Budget, Committed / Incurred / Expended costs, Trends, Forecast at Completion, Cost Curve - Profile vs. Baseline, Variance Analysis, KPI’s, etc.).
- Champion Cost Control Procedure – Drive the Cost Control function utilizing the defined WWRP Cost Control Procedure, Work Instructions, and systems (i.e. SAP, CMS, MS Excel).
- Change Management – Support the Change Management Procedure in consultation with the Change Management Coordinator.
- Estimating – Support estimating exercises in consultation with the Estimating Team (e.g. rebaseline estimates; Small Estimate Form (SEF) Procedure).
- Support Program Cost Control – Coordinate with the Cost Control Manager in supporting internal/external requirements/requests from various stakeholders (e.g. senior leadership, partners, Finance, SCM, etc.). Deliverable examples include the Program Cost Report, Annual Budget / Long Range Plan updates, AFE Supplements, SCM Contract Reports, materials for ad-hoc presentations/reviews with senior leadership and partners, etc.
- Key Interfaces – Execution of the above responsibilities require strong interfaces with Planning, Estimating / Quantity Surveying, Finance, Supply Chain Management, Project Management/Engineering, and other WWRP project disciplines as required.
- Meetings – Attend meetings with the Project Management Team, contractors, senior leadership, and partners to support discussions related to the responsibilities above; Drive presentations as needed.
- This position has no direct reports; the incumbent is expected to work independently and take ownership of deliverables.
- Control Budget Stewardship – Budget Change Management; AFE Monitoring; Commitment Management; Allowance Management; Variance Analysis.
- Cost Forecasting – Trends Identification/Management; Forecast at Completion; Cost Profile / Schedule Alignment; Baseline/Budget Submission & Stewardship; Variance Analysis; Watchlist (i.e. potential cost risks) Identification/Management.
- Contract Stewardship – Cost Report Analysis; Change Order Evaluation; Purchase Requisitions / PO Mgmt.
- Cost Reporting – HUC/ORA Cost Reports for Project Team and Program Stakeholders (senior leadership, partners). Reports will detail status of Current Budget (incl. Approved Changes), Committed / Incurred / Expended costs, Trends, Forecast at Completion, Cost Curve - Profile vs. Baseline, Variance Analysis, KPI’s, etc.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor of Engineering or Business; P. Tech.
- Must have a minimum of 7 years’ relevant Cost Control experience in a project environment.
- Ability to wear a full face / half mask respirator (if required).
- Ability to pass a drug and alcohol test (if necessary).
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job (standing for long periods of time, lifting heavy loads up to 50 to 60 pounds, etc.).
- Professional Engineer or CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant)
- Project Management Professional - PMP or Equivalent.
- AACEI Certification - CCP, CCT.
- Experience working in major construction/fabrication and installation projects.
Knowledge, Skills, & Attributes:
- Thorough expertise in the Cost Control discipline.
- Understanding of the function of all Project Controls disciplines (i.e. Schedule, Estimating, Risk and Change Management) and how they work together.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel) and SAP.
- Forward thinking – Acute forecasting focus; ability to leverage experiences to for-see problems and implement solutions proactively; ‘constant improvement’ mind-set.
- Communicates Effectively – Ability to clearly communicate with team members, contractors, and between site and office personnel is critical. Skill in presenting to audiences of varying stakeholder disciplines is required.
- Works Collaboratively – This position requires interfacing with multiple different teams, companies, and stakeholders.
- Analytical, critical, and logical.
- Ability to multitask.
- Works well under pressure.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to forecast, analyze and work under pressure.
How to Apply:
When submitting your application to HR Project Partners for this opportunity, please submit a PDF version and include the job number.
HR Project Partners Inc. (HRPP) is a Human Resources consulting company offering various services in Human Resources, both to individuals and to companies. One of those services is recruitment for companies on a provincial and national basis.
HR Project Partners is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply directly to this job posting. For questions regarding the position, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. While HR Project Partners appreciates all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.